Designing Outdoor Water Features in Michigan
Outdoor water features can add life, vibrancy, and grandeur to your landscape. Because outdoor water features are customizable, they can fit into just about any landscape. Designing and installing these features can be both easy and complex, depending on the scope of the project.
If you’re interested in building water features for your garden or backyard, keep reading this article. We’ll cover the top benefits of water features, the best type of water features, and how to maintain them after installation.
Top Benefits of Adding a Water Feature
From aesthetics to cost savings, there are many reasons to install an outdoor water feature into your backyard or garden. Some of the top benefits of water features include:
- Increased Home Resale Value
- Noise Reduction
- Little to No Maintenance
- More Relaxed & Soothing Environment
As previously mentioned, these features are fully customizable and can fit into spaces both large and small.
So…what type of water feature should you install into your space?
Best Water Features in Michigan
Outdoor water features vary in size, design, and features. Homeowners in Michigan who have larger backyards have more options, but there are still plenty of options for those with limited space. Here are a few unique water features you can include in your outdoor space:
- Water Fountain: You can add this feature to your front or backyard. Fountains vary in size and can include features like LED lighting.
- Endless Infinity Pool: Requires little maintenance, unlike other standard pools, as you can control the water flow and temperature.
- Pondless Waterfall: Constructed from boulders and other natural stone, these waterfalls will give you the peaceful and relaxing environment you’ve been searching for.
- Streams: You can create a small or large stream that runs through your backyard. Like many of the water features, streams can easily make your landscape more serene.
- Pond: Traditional ponds can be a great landscape feature for homeowners who don’t mind having wildlife in their very own backyard. They are also customizable and come in a wide variety of sizes and depths.
The type of water feature you choose will depend on the size of your landscape as well as your budget.
Most water features for backyards and gardens usually require regular maintenance to ensure that they look and function as they should. Maintenance requirements vary from one feature to another based on design and functionality. In most cases, water features may require little or no maintenance, but there are general tips you can incorporate to keep your water feature in great shape:
- Cut and remove leaves that grow around the rocks and water. When leaves build up in ponds, they can change the color of the water or release harmful chemicals that can harm life in the water.
- Clean the stones and rocks around the water feature once a week. When cleaning, be sure to use non-toxic materials and products. You should also make sure to remove any algae growing around the water section with an EPA-approved algaecide.
- Regularly test the water, especially if you have wildlife in your pond.
- Perform deep cleaning during fall and spring.
- Have a professional winterize your water feature before the cold weather arrives.
Start Your Water Feature Design Today
If you’re looking to add a water feature to your landscape, you can trust our experts at Design One. We’ve been helping homeowners in Southern Michigan install a wide array of outdoor water features.
If you need help selecting the right type of water feature, or you already have a project idea in mind, please fill out our online form today—we’ll get you started with a free estimate.